Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Last night for our anniversary Devin took me out for a surprise dinner. We went to this little place in Tempe called House of Tricks. It was so fun and extremely tasty.


I kinda didn't take any pictures because I am an idiot but we overheard a lot or conversations. Devin and I are really bad at stopping mid conversation and finding each other both eavesdropping on the other tables conversations.

First we heard the table behind us, young couple probably in their late 20s. Girl who was obviously drunk slurring out to the waiter...
Girl: I really wish you weren't married Mike. I have the perfect girl for you.
Waiter: Ya (nervous laugh) bu it's funny to hear what kind of girls, people would set me up with.
Girl: It's just too bad. Think of it we could eat here all the time together.
Waiter: Ya (nervous laugh again) I can just imagine all the fun we would have. Can I bring you your check?

Then we found a couple who probably go to the renaissance fair every year and dress up. Man had a long pony tail, girl had long gross hair, having a conversation.
Girl: I just love Sinead O'Conner
Boy: Ya I only like her early stuff

What a music snob. Actually I don't think you can be a music snob if you like Sinead O'Connor


Last but not least there was a large group that was just joining at the end of our meal. We knew the girl that was arriving was the one that they were celebrating for but would couldn't figure out why. When she showed up they all did the ooh lets look at that dress ordeal and made her spin so they could see the back and then they got ready to order drinks. The honorary girl was at the end of the table. It was her turn to order.
Girl: Do you have like fruit punch?
Waiter: Umm no sorry we have cranberry juice, pineapple juice...etc Maybe if I mixed them all together hahah that might work.
Girl: Really do you think it would? Ya do that.
Waiter: I really don't think it would actually taste like fruit punch.
Girl: (disheartened) Oh well then I guess I'll just have the pineapple juice.
Crazy Lady at the table: You know pineapple juice is an excellent juice.

We later realized that this girl was there because she had just had her eighth grade promotion ceremony. That my friends is why you don't take fourteen year olds to fancy restaurants.


Other thoughts

I went to wal-mart the other day to get spray paint for girls camp project. When I went to check out at the express lane the guy says oh buying spray paint huh? Well I hope you're 18.
I'm thinking he wants me to show proof so I pull out my ID. I can see the scanner because its the self check out. He starts do the approval and doesn't even look at the ID then turns around after he's done and sees me holding the ID. "Oh", he says. "I really didn't need to see that."

I felt like the 40 year old lady who still hopes she gets carded when buying alcohol.

3 comments:

hilary and morgan said...

eavesdropping on strangers conversations solidifies my belief that we are the same person.

Grandma Sue said...

Holly and I went to buy spray paint to redo a cradle for the new baby- at Wal Mart we were at the self check out they made a big deal Holly didn't have her ID with her and I was
standing right there handing her the money. Holly was all mad and I told her be glad they think you are underage pregant and all.

Sue

Kristi said...

I love House of Tricks. If you like that food, you should try Coup de Tartes in Phoenix. It was one of four restaurants we reviewed for az central. Try it, love it!