Sunday, June 24, 2007

Summer School

So I'm taking Children's lit for summer school and the first day true to ASU form although I'm taking it at Scottsdale Community (yes I get to be an artichoke) we started with the nasty things. While you would think that a children's lit class would be nice and all about cute picture books we started by talking about books that have been censored such as mommy laid an egg and the Inner city mother goose rhymes.

Mommy Laid an Egg (I've included a picture of the cover for two reasons a.I am lame and have no good pictures to post and 2. for all you mom's who may not want their kids to pick it up) is the story of parents trying to explain to their kids how babies are born.

The parents offer a variety of suggestions of how the baby is born including that their mommy laid an egg. Well the kids don't believe the parents and so the kids decide they will educated their parents on how it is done. This includes stick figure drawings that the kids use to show the parents how to have sex. It's all stick figures but do 5 year old kids really need to know how to do it? Not to mention that there are drawings where the stick figures are doing it in multiple positions!

Anyways the next great read is The Inner City Mother Goose. It's poems include this dandy one...

Hickory Dickory Dock
The Crowd ran up the block.
A cop struck one,
A rock got thrown;
Hickory Dickory riot.

Okay so that one doesn't sound so bad but there is one about Jack be nimble, jack be quick Jack stab that knife in, make it stick. And yes I am probably over reacting but I think it's silly that these books are in the children's sections. Anyways yay for summer school classes and crazy teachers. And sorry my post is lame.

6 comments:

angiedunn said...

What kind of drugs were these authors on? I just had the strong urge while reading this post to read "If you give a mouse a Cookie" or some other wholesome book like "One fish Two fish." Which reminds me...didn't you hate the Berinstein Bears? I sure did. TOO LONG!! I can remember babysitting and trying to skip pages & the kids wouldn't let me. Grrr...anyways. that was random. I love your blog.

Alisse Baldwin said...

I wish I was in that class with you so that we could laugh out loud, slash throw up simultaneously. Classes are so much more fun when you have someone you know sitting next to you to either
1) Try to impress by actually studying for tests
or
2) make fun of the class/other people in the class together. Am I evil or what?

Unknown said...

i have to take that class this fall... yipee!

Emily, Julia, and Annie said...

Excuse me. You forgot several of Devin's favorite things. Including: the comics, the newspaper jumble/crossword puzzle as well as tapping out the beats to songs. Gosh. I think I know him better than you.

Sara! said...

So have these books been banned everywhere or are there still select locations (ie: castle boutique) that still carry "Mommy Laid an Egg?" Sounds very informational. Sorry to hear about the crappy class. I think I was the only one who totally lucked out with this class and loved it. My teacher had the tiniest voice, was very mousy looking, and got her Masters in Library Sciences from England. (MCC Rules! That's your problem)

nicole and kevin said...

I love the inner city mother goose. I think I am going to start writing poems like that. Try this one out.

-There was an young lady that lived in a shoe,
-That had too many kids because she was knocked up by age two.

That is as good as I could get with so little time to prepare. I think I am going to go to the library and check out that book to get more ideas.
Kevin