Monday, June 4, 2007

brainstorming for saturday

Reasons I love my mom:

1. My mom loves and advocates for each of her kids as if they were her only child.
2. My mom has a strong testimony that she is a child of God and that Heavenly Father loved his children enough to restore his power on the earth in these latter days.
3. My mom taught me to love flowers and that I could never have enough "pretty". When I was little she would let me help plant the pony packs, take the hats of the California poppies, weed the flowers while patiently explaining that the flowers with the lacy leaves are larkspur not weeds and how to dig a hole.
4.My mom took us kids on camping trips all of the time to strawberry and everywhere else when we were kids and inadvertently taught us how to play with fire and how to be tough.
5. Every big decision I have made in my life seems to have been influenced by my mom. She'd tell me what she thought I should do and it would give me the courage to pursue my goal.
6. From about age zero, my mom took us to the library to check out books. She read to all of us kids all the time and fostered our love of reading.
7. Food = love. As Amanda says our chubby thighs are evidence of that.
8. My mom always and I mean ALWAYS woke up with us kids and made us breakfast each morning before school. We maybe ate cold cereal once every two weeks. The rest of the time it was french toast, waffles, eggs and hash browns you name it.
9. My mom loved to travel and wasn't selfish by just going with her and my dad we took to whole family. Whether it was a 7,000 mile trip in three weeks with 8 kids (three of them under 3) in a 7 passenger van visiting all of the church history sights, washington dc, new york and niagra falls or the other 30+ states she took us to. Instead of taking her trip to Europe she sent two of her daughters. How unselfish can you get?
10. Because of our extensive traveling our mom taught us to love culture and museums. She took us to see American Gothic, The Irisis, The girl with the watering can, just as a start. She also taught us to love classical music and old historical places.
11. My mom helped each of us learn a musical instrument. I think she probably spent of years worth of time taking me to cello lessons, Saturday group lessons, mys practice, concerts, recitals, and sitting with me while I practiced at age 6. And on top of that she taught each of us to play the piano. When she taught me she had me pay her five dollars a lesson which she would give me and then tell me to stand outside the front door and knock, then she would let me in, I would pay her the five dollars and she would put it in this red tin box that sat in the piano seat. Little did I know the money for my lessons went into a bank account that later paid for my first nice cello.
12.My mom taught us to love old black and white movies, period movies and foreign films with subtitles.
13. My mom taught me that saturday's were project days where we would paint a room or clean up the backyard or plant flowers.
14. My mom taught us to study the scriptures by helping us draw pictures in our book of mormons to help explain what was happening and by having us sit on sundays around her chair while she read stories from the ensign, new era and friend.
15. My mom used the time she spent with me in the car driving places to teach me valuable lessons and help make suggestions of what she thought I would be good at and what I should do with my life. Sometimes I thought she was lecturing the wrong kid and that I was just the target practice before the real lecture but it always helped me anyways.

Thats all for now.I'll have more later. My mom rocks.


6 comments:

angiedunn said...

true that. your mom rocks. i love her. i will miss her like crazy. she made a huge impact on my life growin' up on east el moro. she taught me to find joy in little things, live simply, and be happy being me. here's to her & the happy seeds she planted o' my heart. love ya laur.

Sara! said...

I love your mom! I'm so lucky to know her too. Seriously, some of my favorite memories are from camping. Also, I loved getting to stay at your guy's house when my mom went to camp. I remember one year, your mom cut my bangs while staying there, and then we went to I think the church farm and picked corn. Lastly, she never yelled at me for letting you eat the candle from Hawaii when I was babysitting which I was so nervous about, but she would have never wanted me to feel bad. I like her. You'll do great Saturday, you are truly amazing!

The Jones Fam said...

Your mom is amazing! I have always been in awe of all the amazing things she would do. And never being self-absorbed or wanting any credit for it! And somehow, even while doing so many great and important things, she was never too busy to just sit and talk to you and make you feel like the most important person in the world. I remember once we stayed at your house (probably while my mom was at camp), and all the other kids were out playing, and I just hung around your mom, watched her mop the kitchen floor and talked her ear off. I'm sure I was like a booger on her finger that she couldn't get off, but she just engaged me in conversation and made me feel good about myself. I don't know if they get any better than your mom. She was truly a saint! Good luck this Saturday. I wish we could be there.
Jake

HooHoo said...

Amen to all the above. You did great yesterday, if that was your dress rehersal, the real performance will be perfection plus. I'm so sorry that Sara let you eat the Hawaii candle. Maybe Amanda can get a replacement when she goes to Hawaii, but then your mom probably doesn't care now.

MeL said...

I love your mom too! When ever Sara and I talk about who we want to be like when we grow up, your mom is inevitably on the list. She always had like a million things going on at the same time, yet never seemed frazzled, just enjoying the heck out of life. Two of my favorite stories that she told me are first, when she first finished chemo, and her hair was very short, and Grandma in her funniness said to her something along the lines of her new shorter haircut being very daring. And your mom just laughed and took it in stride. The second was soon after she got her cancer money, and one of the first things she did was go and buy lots of flowers to plant. Later her sister came over and said to her, "So this is what $50,000 of flowers looks like!" I love it. I love your mom, and am so jealous of you and your sisters who are all cabon copies of her, and will be equally as amazing moms, aunts, role models, and friends to everyone you ever meet. Good luck on Saturday, you'll do an amazing job, I'm sure of it! Love ya Lar-Lar!

judy j. said...

Dearest Tina, no offense but last time i checked we have six kids not eight. unless there were twins somewhere in there that i don't know about and/or at a time in your life emily and amanda were cloned and/or they both had BFF that pretty much lived at your house. but then again any of those are options. muchos hearts always ~judy j.