Thursday, March 13, 2008

Havasupai




Yesterday I learned from my Young Women's President that we will be hiking Havasupai in a month. The YW leaders decided it was time for the girls to have some fun because the boys go fun places all the time. Needless to say I am very very excited but also very very out of shape. Right now the girls are going to have to push me back out or get on all fours and be my donkey. So I am a little more then nervous about carrying a 60 pound pack (knowing my packing ability to over pack every time even if its over night. I'll bring a parka to the beach just in case it gets too cold) and hike the 18 miles or whatever it is round trip. Any ideas from the peanut gallery on what to do to prepare? Keep in mind I only have a month to get ready. We are going April 17th. Also any suggestions on how to bribe your loveable husband into going? Right now his idea of strenuous activity is standing up to change channels when we can't find the remote, not like I'm any better, I'm pretty sure I asked him last week to come into the bedroom so that he could hand me a glass of water that was out of my reach. We need some serious help.

7 comments:

angiedunn said...

Lol.

Claudhopper's done that hike...you might blog her???

Have fun! I'm jeal!

granny said...

Yes, yes I survived the Havasu experience. I walked the retention basin up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down for a few weeks. You'll do great. You are so YOUNG! Just keep telling yourself that Clodhopper did it, so absolutely, positively anyone can do it. Actually it is now one of my treasured memories of your mom and Dan.

P.S. Some people's idea of "girls having fun" is different than mine.

P.S. Again. I had an emotional meltdown the day I packed. Panic, pure and simple. Ask Mark.

hilary and morgan said...

maybe you should boycott and come hang out with me.

JoDee said...

This is GORGEOUS!! I'm gonna have to talk Brandon into going...we should get a group to go.

Todd and Andrea said...

Maybe you should let me come instead of your husband. And maybe to get in shape you should go running with me, or at least go climb up and down the bleachers at Mesa High every other day. When our young men did Havasupi, Todd was in pretty good shape, and he almost died b/c it was so difficult. So don't wait till the last minute. Also, don't pack very much, who cares what you look like or how you smell when you're hiking?

Todd and Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill said...

Hi Devan,
You don't know me, and please don't publish this comment, but I have a question: How do you get your comments to display automatically on Blogger? I have taken the steps below, which still don't work. And seeing that your blogger is doing exactly what I want mine to do, I was wondering if you had any secrets?
Thanks,
Bill
wmjaho@yahoo.com

You have to login to your blogger account. Then, go to http://draft.blogger.com/.
From there, go to SETTINGS -- COMMENT -- and under COMMENT FORM
PLACEMENT, choose EMBEDDED BELOW POST.