Sunday, September 30, 2007

already scratched that itch.

Dear Mom Dixon,

I completely understand the urge to dig in dirt. The gardeners itch perhaps? I can't call myself a gardener yet because I'm not that good at it but I'm learning and I would rather buy flowers then pay bills. So I think I'm on my way. Which leads me to this weekends activities, buying flowers and planting them. Probably a tinsy bit premature. I should have maybe waited a couple of more weeks but I have school the next three Saturdays and the compulsion to plant won. My downstairs neighbor who offers both very friendly gardening advice and just told me I could use her hose so I don't have to hand water everything (happy face) told me about these things that can hang on rails to hold your pots. I found them at the ever famous big lots where I was buying a pink horse for pickles to play with as she recovered from her recent bout with the croup (I think my mom put me on autopilot to go there as it was her favorite store to buy presents at) and had a party when I found them. I also tried to buy a hose for myself and bought a soaker hose instead of a normal one which would have essentially soaked my apartment every time I watered (hence why I can't call myself a gardener yet). So after I took that back and bought a couple more racks for my pots so I could fit them all on my rail I decided I have enough flowers for now. Now, until I can figure out how to shade my other porch balcony to have more flowers. Right now its too sunny to grow anything. But I'm working on it. Until then...flowers make me happy.

Sincelrely Yours,

Laura Fletcher




P.S. The empty looking long pot is actually sweet peas that I'm hoping will grow up the rail.

6 comments:

•stephanie• said...

so pretty! i would totally do that if i lived in an apartment, too. last year, i planted all my flowers about now and wound up replacing a bunch, so i {for now} am resisting the urge for a couple more weeks, maybe. way to go -- brightening up your complex, and all. p.s. . . . the sweet peas idea is brilliant. love them!

amanda p. said...

AAAAAGGGHHHHH! your blog is very very spooky! I love it! I love flowers & I love you!

hilary and morgan said...

this comment has nothing to do with your last blog but everything to do with your fishnets. I fell in love with you today when I saw those.

granny said...

Laura! I feel so honored you told me about your planting fiesta! Cute, happy plants/pots! I'm totally jealous, as I spent the day looking at pavers and replacing a dryer that sounds like a mac truck driving through the laundry room. Oh and don't forget catching up my ironing. Although these activities were somewhat satisfying, they don't compare to digging in the dirt. As for the soaker hose incident, I will tell you what I tell all my daughters. The only people who don't have these less than perfect results/experiences are the ones who don't ever do it. This applies to cooking, sewing, and almost any other domestic activity. Especially gardening. I'm glad you haven't seen all my mistakes/failures. Haha. I have snapdragon seeds in my REFRIGERATOR because apparently they are very tricky to germinate. But can you believe I found some trailing snapdragon seeds for pots??? If I get any to grow, I'll share. Love, Mama Clod

Todd and Andrea said...

Hey, I'm planting my flowers next Friday. Come on over if you need a planting fix. But first, I get to scalp the lawn and plant my rye seed. Isn't October the best time of year??? We love working outside, huh.
And ditto Morgan's comment on the fishnets. Was I a little creepy and lurky when I rubbed your leg in church? Sorry. I just found your fishnets kind of sexilicious.

Kirk and Aly said...

I love your hanging pots! And what a great idea to plant sweet peas and have them climb up the rail! I'm sure it will look amazing!